Calling all Watford Boys of 1951-1926!
|7 Feb 2018|
Watford Grammar School for Boys is on the search for past students who attended the school between 1951-1962 in order to reunite them for the launch of the school’s first new House in 16 years.
Rée House, which will officially exist from September when the school’s intake expands to accommodate an extra class of Year 7 students, is named after Harry Rée, one of the most legendary figures in Watford Grammar’s history. A war hero turned headmaster, Rée was an exceptional saboteur during World War II, of such note that artefacts from his time are displayed in the Imperial War Museum. Originally a conscientious objector, in 1941 he was parachuted into France at the third attempt. In November 1943 he convinced the owners of the local Peugeot factory to help sabotage it, providing a major win for the war effort.
After the war, he became Headmaster of Watford Grammar School for Boys and remained at the helm for over a decade, in which time he never spoke publicly of his time in the war despite having even starred in a film about it commissioned by the RAF.
Rée went on to become Professor of Education at York University when it opened in 1962 and remained in education for the rest of his life before his death in 1991. A biography of his remarkable life was recently published by Jonathan Daube.
To mark the new House, Watford Grammar School for Boys is holding a lunch which is open to all those who remember Rée from their time at the school. It will be held at the school on Saturday 24th March and include a tour of the school grounds including the new state-of-the-art building for the teaching of science, technology, engineering and maths.
Places at the lunch cost £20 and must be booked in advance. To book, please message Hollie Rendall or by phone the WBGS on 01923 208900.